Each year Pack 229 hosts it's annual Raingutter Regatta, typically in October.
Pack 229 Raingutter Regatta Rules
- Do not add anything to the boat that is not included in the kit except paint, decals and glue (example - do not use string to secure the sail to the hull and don't add additional weight).
- Your son may trim the sail but do not cut the sail up and reassemble in some form other than the basic form it comes in (i.e. - don't make the sail into a bucket to catch more "wind").
- The races will be double elimination, head to head races by den. Each den will have its own pair of rain gutters.
- The boys are allowed (and encouraged) to use straws, which will be provided.
- Each den will have a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place prize. We will have a championship bracket for the 1st place winners from each den.
- It seems it works better if the sail is placed on the mast upside down - the bottom corners catch the sides of the gutter if the sail is right side up.
- Don't paint the sail, it makes the boat top heavy and prone to tipping over.
- Glue the sail to the hull so it doesn't swivel.
- Tips from Boys Life Magazine.